Friday 14 July 2017

Just Playing Some Newer Ones

Here's What I've Been Playing This Week:

Imhotep - Had some mixed feelings on this one when I first played it the other week, after another revisit my thoughts basically remain the same.  It's a good game but it doesn't really do much to stand out from the other 100 games in the library.  Its strengths are the fact it can be taught in about five minutes total and it can be played in 30-40 minutes.  Games that are accessible, with a quick play time but involve some planning and strategy are always winners for me, and overall Imhotep ticks all the right boxes.  I'm not exactly sure yet what it is about Imhotep that I don't really like, but it still sits in the 'neat' but not 'so amazing I just want to play again' category.  Having those few previously mentioned qualities of accessible, quick and with depth will most definitely see Imhotep with a strong potential for future plays - but I won't be surprised if I explore other games first.

Karuba - I've already played this game about 10 times in a couple of weeks. Feels like one of those games that I'll burn through quickly and be ready to move on soon, but until then I find myself quite enjoying this puzzle of a game.  It's the type of game that most will find some redeeming qualities in, including those who rarely play board games and experienced more hardcore gamers.  It's definitely on the lighter side and does play more like a puzzle than a game, but stream lining your paths, balancing your movements, collecting gold and crystals, and racing to the temple offer enough to do for the more serious games to enjoy a small diversion or two from things far more serious.  At least that's how I've found Karuba anyway!


Board Games Purchased This Week:

None - Don't be deceived, I'm not back to my restrained, controlled, mind over matter, I must resist the allure of more board games - me.  I'm just waiting for a few things to show up in the mail.  Shipping to Tasmania can often take that little bit extra.  Am sure things will start showing up in the next week or two!  P.S. Expect a fair few filler games to be featured here shortly, ones similar to this..